Carpentry & Joinery Level 1
This course is designed for those interested in a career in the Construction industry and will also act as an excellent Foundation programme for those who are unsure about which career route in the industry they wish to follow.
You may progress onto a Level 2 Diploma course. Alternatively, you may enter employment directly into the industry returning to study further qualifications on a part time basis.
On completion of this course and depending on your Maths & English results, you can progress onto:
- Level 2 Carpentry & Joinery
- Apprenticeship within the construction industry
- Health and safety in construction
- Safe use of tools and equipment
- Tool maintenance and storage
- Developing carpentry & joinery skills
- Underpinning knowledge and theory to support your studies
- Constructing through mortice and tenon joints
- Constructing angled halving joints
- Constructing bridle joints
- Fitting locks and latches
- Constructing haunched mortice and tenon joints
- Constructing stub mortice and tenon joints
- Constructing and fixing hatch linings
- Constructing housing joints
Each unit is assessed by a practical task with underpinning knowledge questions. The mandatory health and safety unit is theory only and assessed with an end of unit test.
4 GCSEs grade 3 and above, including Maths and English.
The skills developed on this course could increase your chances of having a career as a:
- Carpenter – 1st and 2nd fix
- Carpenter and Joiner – bench based
- Furniture Maker
- Floor Layer
- Window and door frame fitter