NVQ 1 Certificate in Food Preparation & Cooking & NVQ 1 Certificate in Food & Beverage Service
This study programme is designed for students interested in starting a career in the hospitality and catering industry, possibly as a chef or waiter/waitress. On our courses students gain hands-on experience working in our professional kitchens and serving customers in our Coffee Shop. Students cook and serve approximately 150 hot meals daily. During the course you will cover a variety of prep and cooking units alongside food and beverage service units.
On completion of this programme you may progress to a higher level programme:
- NVQ 2 Diploma in Food Production & Cooking or NVQ 2 Diploma in Food & Beverage Service
Working within our professional and realistic working environment; which includes, Larder, Pastry and Production kitchens; you will cover a variety of prep. & cooking units along side food & beverage service units; these may include:
- Prepare & cook vegetables
- Dough products
- Prepare & cook pasta dishes
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
Level 1 Hospitality & Catering students will regularly have practical lessons each week.
NVQ programmes are assessment based qualifications, students are continually assessed across the academic year; both in practical & theory. In addition students will work towards achieving GCSE in maths & English.
Ideally, potential candidates must have completed the taster programme (this runs every June/July)
Candidate’s entry onto the study programme is on the basis of:
- Minimum Entry L3 English
- Minimum Entry L3 Maths
- A 1:1 interview with one of our Hospitality &Catering lecturers, satisfactory referencesand/or school report and assessment of the candidates commitment to the course.
After achieving a Certificate at NVQ 1 we strongly recommend that you complete NVQ 2 before commencing a career in the Hospitality & Catering industry. Potential careers are:
- Different types of Chef such as Head Chef, Chef de Partie, Commis Chef, Chef de Pâtisserie or Dish Development Chef
- Restaurant Management
- Hotel Management, Concierge & Reception
- Cruise Ships Careers
- Armed Forces Contract Catering
- Aviation Industry such as Flight Attendant and Ground Crew
- Event & Function Management
- Cocktail Mixology and Wine Cellar Management